Vancouver Island School of Art
302-733 Johnson St, Victoria, BC V8W 3C7 250-380-3500 firstname.lastname@example.org
Supply List - Oil Basics
Items required for the first class:
- acrylic gesso (16 oz or larger)
- one 2 ½ - 3"- wide large brush for gessoing (hardware store quality is fine)
- rags, paper towels
- vine or willow charcoal
- one #12 "bright" brush, or similar. Hog Bristle preferred or synthetic bristle
- one 1"-wide soft-bristle synthetic brush
- two hardboard (Masonite) panels, approximately 11" x 14" (you can also use scrap plywood, thick cardboard or matboard. We will prime them with gesso in class).
paint: recommended oil paint: Winsor and Newton Winton. Titanium White (large tube); Lamp Black or Ivory Black (small tube).
- odourless mineral spirits (Ecohouse Neutralthin preferred, Gamsol or Opus brand is acceptable) Note: NO orange or citrus scent;
Additional items to be discussed during first class:
- one round pointed brush for linear work and small details
- any brushes you have at home
- oil glazing medium (Gamblin solvent-free fluid or gel medium, or stand oil mixed 50/50 with odourless mineral spirits)
- paint: in this course we will use a limited 3-colour primary palette (red, blue, and yellow); one earth tone (burnt sienna); black, and white. You can use whatever you have if you already have paints. I can look at them in the first class and advise.
Recommended oil paint:
Winsor and Newton Winton (student grade but still good quality): Lemon Yellow (PY3) or Cadmium Yellow Light Hue; French Ultramarine; Permanent Rose; Burnt Sienna
We will generally need two small or medium-sized surfaces (11" x 14" to 16" x 20") to paint on each week for class and homework assignments. Along with gessoed surfaces, stretched primed canvas and canvas paper are acceptable.
Note: Supplies can be purchased in downtown Victoria at: Art World (860 Yates St), Island Blue (905 Fort St) or Opus (512 Herald St).
Some of the local Art stores offer a student discount or PST exemption:
1. Let them know at the cash that you are a student at VISA
2. Show proof of registration or payment (your Registration Receipt email from VISA).