Vancouver Island School of Art
302-733 Johnson St, Victoria, BC V8W 3C7 250-380-3500 email@example.com
Supply List - Painting: Series Development
Items required for the first class:
The first class will be spent discussing how to develop a series. We will look at work of other artists and discuss the process of source material gathering, research, development of an idea and fulfilment of a goal.
- 12 related images: developed prints/digital print-outs/magazine images/posters/etc. Your images should hold some personal importance, although how they are related is up to you.
- 9 x12” or larger sketchbook (preferably the kind with rings so pages can lie flat)
- pencil (HB), eraser
Additional items to be discussed during the first class:
Bring the usual materials you use to paint with (Items listed below are just suggestions)
- paints (oil, acrylics, watercolour or gouache) in a range of colours (including warm and cool yellow, warm and cool red, warm and cool blue, one green, one orange, one violet, one black and large tube of white (for oil or acrylic)
- matte medium (acrylic) / odourless mineral spirits and walnut or linseed oil (oil)
- variety of brushes suited to your choice of paint
- surfaces to paint on (canvas, panel or paper, depending on paint choice). You will need at least 8 surfaces for this course.
- palette knife
- x-acto blade
- paint apron
- large container or jar for water
Supplies can be purchased in downtown Victoria at: Art World (860 Yates St), Island Blue (905 Fort St) or Opus (512 Herald St).
Local art supply stores have varying discount options for students. Monks and Opus offer membership programs for discounts. Check stores’ websites for details.